Searching for Sugar Man

Searching for Sugar Man

Byr Malik Bendjelloul

  • Genre: Documentary
  • Release: 2012-07-27
  • Rate: PG-13
  • Lenght: 1h 26min
  • Director: Malik Bendjelloul
  • Producer: Passion Pictures
  • Country: Finland, South Africa, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America
  • iTunes Price: USD 12.99
  • iTunes Rent: USD 3.99
From 721 Certification


SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN tells the incredible true story of Rodriguez, the greatest ‘70s rock icon who never was. After being discovered in a Detroit bar, Rodriguez’s sound struck 2 renowned producers and they signed a recording deal. But when the album bombed, the singer disappeared into obscurity. A bootleg recording found its way into apartheid South Africa and over the next two decades, he became a phenomenon. The film follows the story of two South African fans who set out to find out what really happened to their hero.



  • Lost in words

    By Haad77
    Lost in words really, what an outstanding man, it deserve a 10 stars

    By CLC333
    I watched this documentary on a trans-Atlantic flight and was not prepared for how it would grab me emotionally. I had never heard of Sixto Rodriguez, but after watching this, you will never forget him!
  • Inspiring story

    By Alrita
    A neglected musician is miraculously idolized in South Africa. It is a tale of redemption. The most touching aspect is the integrity and simplicity of Rodriguez who apparently does not let fame go to his head. The mother of the daughters does not appear, leading one suspect that he might not have a saint. But his daughters do seem to adore him. This is a very well made and affecting movie.
  • Astounding

    By slosako
    Astounding that this incredible musician and man who changed a nation is not known to us here in America. Less astounding is that music industry executives stole the royalties from his work for years with no shame. Yet, in the end, this man who is so extraordinary has a story that truly makes you believe in the days of wonder and miracles. It also makes you aware that things we do every day can be affecting people around the world we will never know. This man and his music started a movement that changed a country and a world. Everywhere I go I hear his music…..Mexico, Europe, Africa, Central America, Australia……..but still, not in the USA. It is a story to learn and carry with you.
  • Cause

    By CFM77320
    Mr. Rodriguez a truly inspiration to everyone out there with a dream! What a humble attitude a real genius, a hero for everyone pursuing a dream. Believed in your self. What a lovely true history and miracle !! A perfect example to all you out there with last names Gonzalez or Morales :) to never give up your most precious life dreams. Excellent !!!!!!!
  • I mean what a story! Fantastic!!

    By SIXXB
    Moving! I'm glad I didn't pass Sugar Man up!
  • Inspiring

    By EduardoAmadeus
    The perfect documentary!
  • Sugar Man is a Perfect Film

    By Tranque
    I was hooked-in every moment of this film. It unfolds perfectly and the ending is 98% satisfying. (The other 2% I wanted to see footage of discovering who really pocketed all that money … but I guess we can infer Clarence Avante and Sussex records screwed Rodriguez over big time.) I want to buy his albums just to support the guy; his music sounds a bit dated now, but in context you can hear that he is an amazing writer. I guess America was going to have only one "Bod Dylan" at the time. Yes, I want to buy his music … but I want to make sure he gets paid now!
  • Very moving ... A dream we all dream

    By Joe's Blow
    And glad I can now discover his wonderful music.
  • Profound and moving story!! by Laura Dodd

    By LDsongbird
    This story has been a long awaited tale of how sometimes even a Superstar gets overlooked! I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! It is inspiring,motivating,and thought provoking of how one man’s heartaches can help so many people just by the sound of his voice and songs. Definitely, not a movie to miss!!